|Written by admin|
|Saturday, 05 July 2008 15:05|
WHO WE AREThe SWA, which started as a Girls’ Club – Siglap Girls’ Club in 1954, became women’s club in 1960.
Her original aim was to serve the needs of under-privileged girls.
After the People’s Association took over all activities for the Youth Movement, the Club concentrated on its senior members.
Her name was changed to Singapore Women’s Association.
SWA was also known as Persekutuan Wanita Singapura during the days of Singapore’s merger with Malaysia.
Since its inception, SWA had been rendering voluntary services with the aim of helping to make Singapore a peaceful, happy and prosperous homeland for Singaporeans. They had initiated several programmes and undertaken many projects to achieve the aim of creating a better quality of life for everyone. Some of them were:
In the 4th quarter of 1992, SWA relocated its office premises from Tan Boon Liat Building at Outram Road to Serangoon Central. Mr Chin Harn Tong, then MP for Aljunied GRC officially opened the premise on 25th April 1993.
SWA has moved with the times but, essentially, it still renders community services with the aim of ensuring a better quality of life for everyone.
The policy of SWA is to be always alert and sensitive to the needs of our community and to plan our activiites so that we would in our small way meet some of the more urgent need of the time.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 06 July 2008 15:37|