Singapore Women's Association (SWA) started out as Siglap Girls' Club in 1954 with the aim of serving the needs of underprivileged girls in Singapore. With the establishment of the People's Association in 1960 to oversee activities for the Youth Movement, we decided to change our association name officially to SWA and shift our focus on empowering and helping women and elderly. SWA was also known as 'Persekutua Wanita Singapura' during the days of Singapore’s merger with Malaysia. Since its inception, SWA had been rendering voluntary services with the aim of helping to make Singapore a peaceful, happy and prosperous homeland for Singaporeans.
Throughout the years, we have started many initiatives and projects with the aim of creating a better quality of life for everyone. Key on-going charity work include the Singapore Vision Care Programme (free eye care/ eye screening for elderly), Annual Charity Dinner (anchor fundraising campaign for beneficiaries), Athena Academy (social enterprise to empower women in professional/ personal growth training) and many others.
SWA is also affiliated to Singapore Council of Women’s Organisation (SCWO) and is a member of National Council of Social Services (NCSS).